The label values municipalities and marinas that permanently lead a sustainable tourism development policy.
It is now five years since the City of Royan is rewarded for its actions in favor of the environment and the quality of services proposed for four of its five beaches: La Grande Conche, Le Chay, Le Pigeonnier and Pontaillac.
In order to obtain this distinction, in addition to the imperative criteria concerning safety, waste management and public information, bathing water must first be classified as "Excellent quality water" *. Each season, this ranking is established by the Regional Health Agency (ARS) on the basis of the official analyzes of the previous four years.
2015 classification of bathing water quality for the City of Royan:
- Grande Conche beach: Excellent quality water
- Foncillon beach: Good quality water
- Le Chay beach: Excellent quality water
- Le Pigeonnier beach: Excellent quality water
- Pontaillac beach: Excellent quality water
* European classification comprising 4 levels of bathing water quality: Excellent quality water, good quality water, sufficient quality water and insufficient quality water.
Waste sorting on Royan beaches..
One of the requirements to comply with in order to obtain – and keep – the label is to ensure that beaches are cleaned and that waste is dealt with. This is of course the case in Royan. Everyone visiting the beaches is thus strongly encouraged to sort their own waste.
Royan complies with the following criteria:
Environmental Education and Public Awareness
(*) Communauté d’Agglomération Royan Atlantique or Royan Atlantic Urban Community